Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Gary is almost dead

It is a sad, sad time in fish world at my house. My favorite fish Gary (see: Gary and the fish guys love...) is not doing very well. He looks to be mere hours from death, an if you've ever seen a fish hours from death, it's pretty gruesome. Of course he's looked close to death for two weeks now, so maybe he'll hang in there.

TR and I have been getting up every morning and looking to see what new disease Gary has developed overnight. Seems like every day he has a new one. He's bloated, changing color, has white patches, eyes are bulging, scales and coming off, and well you get the idea. It really is quite fascinating in a morbid sort of way. Did I mention that he sinks? Yeah, not a good sign if you're a fish.

Now before you start thinking I'm this horrible person that is enjoying watching her fish rot away, let me assure you that I've done as much as I know how to do (and can afford- I don't think I'm taking this fish to the vet!) which is go to the pet store and buy an awfully expensive ($15) box of tablets that are supposed to fix him in five days of treatment. Two weeks later, here we are- $15 poorer with a hideous mess of a fish. I think he's immune to the medication.

I'm sad about all this, but for a fish of mine, he's lived a long time.

No comments: