Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Out of the mouths of babes...

So Munchkin and I are sitting in the car waiting for TR to come out of the video store this afternoon. Now, my child, much like myself, talks incessantly. There doesn't have to be a topic, randomness is often the rule not the exception. More often than not, we play 2000 questions. Basically, he asks questions until I can no longer explain and I say, "sit back and ride please."


Today, the question I got in the car was, "Mom, were there cavemen in the Cretaceous Period?"

Shock! gasp! Cretaceous period? He's 5! He shouldn't be able to say Cretaceous! Let alone know that it happened!

"The Cretaceous period? No honey, I don't think so." Sounds like a good answer to me.

"It was the last age of dinosaurs mom." This said with the, "Boy, are you dumb Mom," tone of voice.

"Was it?" I'm fast approaching a 10 year reunion and science was never my subject, so I was curious. But, wait! He's only 5!

"Yes, Tyrannosaurus Rex lived in the Cretaceous period." So very matter of fact!

"Reaaally?" Can you tell how amazed I am at this point? If, in fact, this is all true, then I am astounded with the knowledge my little sponge is absorbing. But from where?

"Yup."

"Cool."

"Yeah, and T-rex could eat a thousand cheeseburgers in one bite!"
Glad to know he's still a 5 year old boy under all that knowledge!

(And he was correct about it all!) Except the cheeseburgers part....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I SWEAR I didn't teach him that one.